COMMERCIAL WATERPROOFING COMPANY - COATINGS & SYSTEMS
Quality Waterproofing Systems
Did you know that waterproofing represents 1.8% of a building’s construction costs, but accounts for a whopping 83% of building defect complaints?
- Water leaks are the NUMBER ONE cause of building defects in Australia.
- Defects from ineffective waterproofing membranes represent a huge cost to the construction industry.
- Besides the frustration of having to manage building rectifications long after construction has been completed, a large chunk of profits are constantly lost due to waterproofing rectification and remedial services.
- Waterproofing systems remain the primary protective element against water ingress within the construction industry.
- Waterproof Membranes are not only installed to protect against water ingress but also to protect the long term structural integrity of buildings.
Damage caused by leaking waterproofing membranes
In Australia waterproofing membranes fall into three major categories:
1. Liquid Applied Waterproofing Products
- Liquid applied waterproofing is a cold application where the membrane is in a liquid state and can be applied manually by brush and roller or rapid spray application.
- These membranes are suitable for all surfaces – concrete, metal, timber, asbestos - and can be applied for above & below ground waterproofing.
- Liquid Membranes cures to form a seamless and joint free membrane which exhibits strong adherence to all surfaces.The thickness of the membranes can be controlled by spray application.
- spray apply waterproofing is a rapid process and can cover more than 3 x the area than conventional methods. Up to 1000m can be waterproofed in a single day.
Liquid Applied Membranes
Fast Spray Apply Liquid Waterproofing Membrane - Non Toxic
2. Sheet Based Waterproofing Membranes – “single-ply”
Heat applied sheet membrane
- As the name implies, these membranes are in the form of rolls which when unfurled are stuck to the substrate with hot tar based adhesives using blow torches.
- Due to heat application,Torch–on membranes can damage pipes, wiring, timber and infrastructure due to flame/heat applied to adhere the waterproofing membrane to the surface.
- Many sheet membranes i.e urethanes, vinyl and epoxy based coatings, are high in VOCs (Volatile Organic Chemicals).
3. Integrated Systems
- Integrated waterproofing systems are where additives are included in the concrete mix at the time of manufacture.
- These systems work within the matrix of concrete structures, giving a waterproof quality to concrete.
- Commonly used for larger concrete structures and also used in pre-cast panels or tilt up wall panels.
Properties of Liquid Membranes
- Extreme Elongation
- UV, Salt & Chemical Resistant
- Robust Adherence to all Surfaces
- High Resistance to Abrasion
- Seals around awkward penetrations
- Provides Total encapsulation
View Video Below about our Waterproofing Services
Waterproofing membranes can be subject to movement caused by the normal thermal contraction and expansion due to changes in the moisture content of the surface.
This form of movement is considered slow and over time places stresses and strain which may induce deformation or rupture.
This is the ability of the membrane to stretch. It is measured in percentages and an elongation of 150% means that the membrane can stretch to 1.5 times its length when pulled.
Elongation is vital in building structures – as all buildings move.
This inique property will allow the membrane to stretch over cracks that may develop in the future. A membrane
This is an important property as many membranes that have good elongation also can tear easily.
The ideal membrane will not tear even after a reasonable force is exerted on it.
Seamless liquid applied elastomeric polymer membranes have become the ultimate solution for balcony waterproofing.
These membranes are capable of resisting UV rays, withstand “ponding” water and also coping with the structural movement and deformation that occurs with normal thermal cycles.
Below Ground Tanking
As below ground tanking will mostly be underground when construction is complete, doing it right the first time is critical as coming back to fix it as an expensive rectifications.
The source of most of below ground problems is water – wet soil beneath foundations will swell and will continue on to lose strength.
Basement & Foundations
Liquid coatings have the advantage of quick application with excellent elongation and robust adherence.
BSA has a systemised procedure for treating voids, form-tie holes and joints.Read more here (button)
Under Slab Waterproofing
Preprufe is a unique multi-layer sheet of tough high density polyethylene.
When concrete is poured onto or against a Prepufe membrane, the concrete bonds by a chemical and cold fusion reaction to give a permanent adhesive union.Read more here (button)
Concrete is one of our most durable manmade building materials as it is both strong and inexpensive.
However....untreated concrete has one basic fundamental flaw - it acts like a giant sponge.
Concrete loves moisture - different mixes have different porosity, but under the right (or wrong!) conditions, concrete acts like a giant hard sponge. As it hardens, normal concrete becomes even more porous.
Concrete is not waterproof and does need a waterproof membrane.
Roof leaks can cause thousands of dollars of damage to building and services.
Liquid Applied Membrane will inhibit rust for metal roofs and slow down the deterioration of the roof surface.
Being salt, UV and pollution resistant, Liquid Rubber can be used on roofs from coastal locations to CBD of large cities.
Liquid Membranes will conform to shape of the roof surface so appropriate for complex roof structures with many upturns and penetrations.
Registered Building Practitioners
Specialising in waterproofing applications.
- Highly experienced & specialised waterproofing Team with a proven track record.
- We have systematized procedures to create a complete waterproofing system for a range of projects.
- BSA is familiar with proprietary waterproofing systems and experienced in a variety of construction, industrial and infrastructure environments.
- Using approved applicators gives access to product warranties and our installation guarantees.